Tuesday, December 27, 2011

REAL VANILLA EXTRACT RECIPE

     The recipe calls for vanilla extract. You go to the store and see two choices: real vanilla extract and imitation flavored vanilla extract. Then you look at the prices and mumble to yourself, “Will they really notice the difference?”.  There is no doubt the real deal will cost you more and yes, the discerning palate will notice a difference. Does the CZ sparkle as brightly as the diamond? Sparkle it does, but you can still see the large distinction between the two. Additional food for thought (Yes, it’s a pun. I’ll wait until you quit groaning.) is considering what goes into imitation vanilla. Wikipedia offers the following:

Non-plant vanilla flavoring
In the United States, Castoreum, the exudate from the castor sacs of mature beavers, has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food additive,[33] often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in the product's list of ingredients. It is commonly used in both food and beverages, especially as vanilla and raspberry flavoring.[34] It is also used to flavor some cigarettes and in perfume-making.


They make it sound so yummy and natural, which it admittedly is.

      As an advocate of “use the best to taste the best”, I also realize the financial fall out of doing so. Disposable income is not a phrase bandied  nor recognized in my household, consequently I’m constantly looking for ways to procure quality that I can afford.  Not having any desire to purchase a mature beaver and collecting the castoreum, which I can’t help but think makes for a testy beaver, I suggest buying the vanilla bean and making your own extract. I recommend eBay and have been pleased with both my purchases and prices.

     You will need the following items:


1) 6 long vanilla beans

2) 1 quart vodka

Split the beans open length wise and place in the bottle of vodka. As one cooks only with wine one would drink, I feel the same about the vodka. It doesn’t take Grey Goose, but I wouldn’t use anything that doubles for paint remover. Tighten cap and place in a cool, dark place for 4-6 weeks. Occasionally you will need to “agitate” (shake) the bottle. Again, safer than agitating a beaver! Those little seeds are called caviar and can be strained out with cheesecloth, but I think they add additional flavor and scream “I’m real!”. As you use the extract you can add more vodka to the bottle and reuse the beans until you no longer get desired color and taste.

by Chewy-bacca-nista

No comments:

Post a Comment