Saturday, February 25, 2012

Grocery Bill too HIGH? Maybe This is Why!

Ok, so I know this isn't a direct dessert thing. But, it involves produce, which includes fruit, which could end up in a pie, so bare with me.  I'm sharing this because it JUST happened to me, I didn't hear about it on the internet and this is not a chain email.  WEIGH YOUR OWN PRODUCE AND CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!

We were just in a local grocery store chain and when we saw the total, we both thought it was outlandishly high.  Now, I'm the type to go home and sulk about it, but my husband saw the receipt and said, "Oh no, something is NOT right". .  He noticed there was a distinct difference between what the hanging scales showed and what the receipts showed.  So off to customer service we went.  He pointed out the discrepancy to the customer service lady; since he had in fact weighed the produce.  She was extremely nice and immediately went off to re-weigh it.  And guess what, we aren't crazy, there WAS an error, a HUGE one!  Come to find out, the screens that cashiers use are adjustable for height.  When a very short person uses it, or it gets too loose from too many adjustments, it can fall on the back of the weight scale. Which means anything you weigh seems heavier. LIKE 3X HEAVIER!!!!  That's right folks, each of our weighed items were about 3 times the actual weight.  It cost us an extra $31!!!  Do you know how many cupcakes that buys?  Because I do, and I'm not giving them up for zucchini, (sorry zucchini, nothing personal). For the record she did refund us with a very sincere apology.  I'm so glad I let The Counte check into that, because I would have gone home and grumbled, cupcake-less to boot!

Not trying to complain, just trying to help the next shopper who thinks they might be crazy for thinking food costs have soared a little too fast.  I know food is not cheap, but no need to over pay.  So check your weights and receipt! I wonder how many people this has happened to that didn't notice or just thought they were crazy so didn't say anything?  I wonder how much extra dinero stores bring in because of these "mistakes"?  Conspiracy I say! Just kidding.  But are we the only ones this has happened to? Let us know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what agency this falls under, but it is a HUGE infraction and should have been taken very seriously and deserved more than an apology and explanation. There could be extensive fines involved and justifiably so. I would have no problem reporting this to the proper authorities.

    ReplyDelete